Amidst the breakdown of coronavirus, another virus has entered the premises of China. The new virus is known as the Hantavirus. In this article today, we will share with you all the important information related to the hantavirus. In this article, we will share the aspects of the virus such as the procedure of the virus to spread and also we will share different information on the symptoms, precaution and the treatment of the virus. we will also share the difference between the Hantavirus and the Coronavirus.
What is Hantavirus?
This new Hantavirus is not a deadly virus as compared to the Coronavirus. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the whole family of hantavirus is spread from rodents and can affect people. The virus causes hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) and hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS). However, the virus generally does not pass from person to person. It may take one to eight weeks for the infection to be detected. The virus is not as deadly as the coronavirus because it does not spread by human contact.
Procedure Of Spreading Hantavirus
Through the following ways, the virus can be spread in a well and healthy person:-
- If a rodent with the virus bites someone, the virus may be spread to that person, but this type of transmission is rare.
- Scientists believe that people may be able to get the virus if they touch something that has been contaminated with rodent urine, droppings, or saliva, and then touch their nose or mouth.
- Scientists also suspect people can become sick if they eat food contaminated by urine, droppings, or saliva from an infected rodent.
Risk Of The Virus
The following people are at the risk of the virus:-
- Anyone who comes into contact with rodents that carry hantavirus.
- Rodent infestation in and around the home.
- Healthy individuals are at risk for HPS infection if exposed to the virus.
- Any activity in contact with rodent droppings, urine, saliva, or nesting materials can place you at risk for infection.
- Hantavirus is spread when virus-containing particles from rodent urine, droppings, or saliva are stirred into the air.
Symptoms Of The Hantavirus
The following are the symptoms of the virus:-
- Fever and chills
- Dry cough.
- Low blood pressure.
- Lung problem
- Reduced heart efficiency
Treatments of Hantavirus In India
There is no specific treatment for hantavirus infection. If the infected individuals are recognized early and they receive medical care in an intensive care unit then they can be cured. To cure, the patients are intubated and given oxygen therapy. The earlier the patient is brought in to intensive care, the better. Sometimes it is very difficult to recognize a person if he or she is suffering from the virus because symptoms of the virus are visible after 3 weeks of infection.
Preventions Form Hantavirus
To prevent the disease from spreading you need to undertake the following preventions:-
- Seal up holes inside and outside the home to keep rodents out.
- Trap rodents around the home to help reduce the population.
- Take precautions before and while cleaning rodent-infested areas.
- Report immediately after getting exposed to the rats.
Difference Between Hanta And Coronavirus
The following are the difference between Corona and hantavirus:-
|Contagious||Hantavirus is not contagious||Coronavirus is highly contagious and can spread easily from person to person.|
|Cause||It is contracted when someone touches their eyes, nose or mouth after touching the feces of rodents.||It is contracted when someone touches their eyes, nose or mouth after touching the infected person.|
|Symptoms||The Hantavirus symptoms are fever, fatigue, headache, respiratory issues.||The Coronavirus symptoms are fever, fatigue, headache, respiratory issues.|
|Preventions||Proper cleaning of the house to avoid rats.||Proper hand hygiene and social distancing|
|Treatment||Not available||Not available|