We the citizens of India are well aware of the condition of sanitation in our country. Every year on different festivals tons of garbage has been seen deposited on the banks of rivers and also on the roads. Thus, to develop and to keep the condition better the Swachh Bharat Mission (Banega Swachh India Campaign) was launched in October 2014 and from then the condition of the garbage and sanitation facilities in our country have been improved.
Table of Contents
Banega Swachh India Campaign
When the Swachh Bharat Mission was launched in India, the campaign of Banega Swachh India was launched all over the country. Although, the motto now has been adopted by many brands like Dettol. And thus, the campaign is mostly promoted by the big brands prevailing in the country. Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, the aim is to provide sanitation and development facility to the country.
Swachh Bharat Mission
The Swachh Bharat Mission (Banega Swachh India Campaign) was announced by our Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi on 2nd October 2014 on the birth anniversary of the world’s most famous leader Mahatma Gandhi. The main aim of the Swachh Bharat Mission was to provide sanitation facilities and as announced by the Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi the aim of the Swachh Bharat Mission was to clean India by the 2nd October 2019 which will mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, there are mainly two missions which are launched that is
- Swachh Bharat Mission for Urban India
- Swachh Bharat Mission for Rural India.
Different websites are made to carry forward the yojana separately for urban and rural India.
Why Is Banega Swachh India Campaign Implemented?
The Swachh Bharat Mission has been implemented due to many causes:-
- The main concern is that the Indian cities are fast turning into the most polluted cities in the world.
- As we all know, New Delhi recently broke all records of high levels of air pollution, turning into the world’s most polluted city.
- The air quality index (AQI) touched 1,010 in early November 2017, which is considered extremely hazardous almost like smoking 50 cigarettes a day.
- Apart from Delhi, cities such as Patna, Mumbai, Pune, etc regularly report high level of air pollutants.
- Patna and Delhi figure among the most polluted cities in the world.
- Both have an annual PM 2.5 concentration of more than 120 micrograms per cubic metres which is about 12 times the World Health Organisation (WHO) guideline.
Mentioned above are just some of the index of air pollution which has been implemented in a country since very long. Thus, to overcome any type of pollution the Swachh Bharat Mission was launched in India.
Steps Taken In Banega Swachh India Campaign
Since the implementation of the Swachh Bharat Mission in the year 2014 now, many steps have been taken to forward the mission. As announced by the Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi in the year 2019 on 2nd October the mission will conclude and we will get a free and clean India from the garbage.
Certain statistics of improvement in the country are given below:-
- Total public toilets which have been constructed since the year 2014 – 5.45 lakhs.
- Total individual household latrine constructed since the year 2014 – 64.32 lakhs.
- 80.96 tonnes per day waste processed at 55.67%